It’s our eldest son’s 17th birthday today so I had to bake a few treats for him. He has asked for pork belly for dinner (like mother like son) and brownies. There are many great paleo brownie recipes floating around but they are all high in carbs, and we are a low carb family (not for weight loss but for gut health and healing) so I had to come up with my own. A friend had posted photos of her Incaberry Chocolate and I love Incaberries (sweet and sour all in one…more sweet then sour but kind of like the lollies) so I added some into the brownies, just enough to give it some flavour but not enough to blow out the carbs (30g total for the whole brownie batch). Don’t have incaberries, then use goji 🙂
- 2/3 cup of coconut oil
- 1/3 cup of nut/seed butter (I used walnut)
- 5 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons of Stevia Leaf Powder (or you could use ¾ cup of honey)
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Flour
- ½ cup cacao (this will be a rich brownie, if you prefer it less chocolatey then use 1/3 cup)
- ½ cup Incaberries (soaking in a bowl with boiling water for 30 minutes to soften)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Pour boiled water over the incaberries and set aside, just enough water to cover the berries is enough.
- In a large saucepan combine the coconut oil and nut/seed butter and let it combine over a low heat, about 5 minutes should do it (can use the microwave if you’re a microwave user).
- Let the oil cool to room temperature and whisk in the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the sweetener, coconut flour, cacao, salt and baking powder and beat well.
- Drain the water from the berries and dice them finely before adding them to the mixture, I diced mine super fine because my guys don’t like bits of fruit in cooking.
- Pour the mixture into a lined baking tray and place in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
If you’d like to share my posts or photos on your blog/website, please contact me for permission first.
Email Jess at FaithFoodAndFitness@hotmail.com to contact me before using any of my content on your blog/website. This is my intellectual property and failure to do so is a copyright violation.
© Jessica Rath