It’s only 27 more sleeps till Christmas!! Yes!! I love Christmas, I love giving presents, I love cooking food, cooking looooooots of food, I love spending time with my family, my brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews. I just love the whole meaning of Christmas, celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. One thing I really love about Christmas Day lunch is the Christmas Cake….real…homemade…Christmas Cake. And my Nana makes an amazing one! Well look out Nana, I’ve just taken out the title of ‘Christmas Cake Queen’.
- 125 g dried organic apricot
- 125 g fresh pitted dates
- 1 orange, peeled
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 Tablespoon Mesquite powder
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 500g dried fruit of your choice, roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to a moderate heat (180 degrees Celsius).
- Place the ‘wet’ ingredients (this includes the dried apricots and dates) into a high speed blender like a Thermomix (or use a food processor, it will just take a little longer to blend) and blend until smooth and creamy looking (Thermie: 25 seconds on speed 8).
- Add the almond flour, mesquite powder, baking powder and spices and blend again until well combined (Thermie: 25 seconds on speed 8).
- Fold your choice of dried fruit through the mixture.
- Pour into a loaf tin lined with baking paper. The size tin I used was 10cm wide and 26cm long.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the loaf is cooked through.
- Cool in the tin for 30 minutes before removing.
PS…add 1/4 cup of rum to the cake mix…now you’ve got Christmas started.
You can team this up with a simple Mesquite Caramel Sauce.
This can be made 2 ways:
1 Tablespoon Mesquite Powder
1 Tablespoon Coconut Syrup (or honey)
1 Tablespoon Coconut Cream
Mix in a bowl until there are no lumps. Or you can omit the Coconut Syrup and add an extra tablespoon of Coconut Cream and sweeten with stevia. When I’m making this for the kids I use 1/2 tablespoon of Mesquite Powder, they prefer it that way.
Yours in Health and Happiness
What is your favourite thing about Christmas? What’s something that is most memorable?
If you’d like to share my posts or photos on your blog/website, please contact me for permission first. Email me at FaithFoodAndFitness@hotmail.com to contact me before using any of my content on your blog / website. This is my intellectual property and failure to do so is a copyright violation.
© Jessica Rath 2014