I absolutely love my slow cooker. In fact, it’s the most used kitchen appliance in our house. I use it for just about everything, and it’s my not-so-secret weapon in making flavour packed meats.
The secret is in the seasoning and in the amount of liquid you use. So let me give you a run down of how I do it.
I start with a piece of roasting meat, or whole boneless chicken pieces and I rub them in seasonings. Then I put them in the slow cooker (no I don’t seare the meat in a fry pan, tried it a few times and didn’t do anything to the end result) and then I place 1 or 2 cups of liquid, depending on the size of the meat (1kg=1 cup). I cook the meat (pork, beef, or lamb) on low heat for 7-8 hours and then I ‘pull’ the meat apart and leave it rest in the slow cooker for another 30 minutes. If I’m cooking chicken I put it on low heat for a max of 6 hours, after that amount of time it gets floury and mushy.
Liquid choices: red wine and beef broth, tomato purée and beef (or chicken) broth, beef or chicken broth. Never use just plain water…tasteless.
Seasoning choices: there are sooooo many, you can literally use anything that will compliment the meat that you’re using, just make sure you rub it all over your meat before putting it in the slow cooker.
- Mexican Chilli (pictured above)**1 Tablepoon cacao, 2 teaspoons chilli, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of each-oregano, cumin, allspice. Use tomato purée and beef broth as liquid.
- Greek inspired- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of each-Rosemary, thyme, sage, cinnamon. Use tomato purée and beef broth with 2 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.
- Moroccan inspired- 1 tablespoon paprika, 2 teaspoons of each-cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion flakes. Use tomato purée and beef broth as the liquid.
- 1 Tablespoon of each-cumin, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of each-salt, coriander, pepper, cayenne pepper. Use 1/2 cup each of lemon juice and lime juice and chicken broth (or pork if you have) as the liquid.
- Classic pulled pork: 1 teaspoon of each-chilli (or to taste), onion flakes, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Use chicken broth (or pork if you have) as the liquid.
- 1 teaspoon of each-salt, ginger, garlic powder, cayenne pepper. Use 1 cup pineapple juice, 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (soy sauce alternative), and 1/4 cup coconut oil.
- 1 Tablespoon of each-cumin, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of each-salt, coriander, pepper, cayenne pepper. Use 1/2 cup each of lemon juice and lime juice and chicken broth as the liquid.
What are some of your favourite flavour combinations?
Yours in Health and Happiness
If you’d like to share my posts or photos on your blog/website, please contact me for permission first. Email me at FaithFoodAndFitness@hotmail.com to contact me before using any of my content on your blog / website. This is my intellectual property and failure to do so is a copyright violation.
© Jessica Rath 2015